Friday, July 4, 2014

Friday, July 4 - Day 8: No Riding Today!

Because I am not riding today, I thought I would instead talk about some of the new gear I have on this trip.

The first is a new cot to sleep on.  It is a Therm-A-Rest LuxuryLite Ultralight Cot.  We actually purchased it as a replacement for an air mattress, that like most air mattresses, no longer held air.  We bought it so we could use it when we stay at Trisha's place (other daughter) in Kansas.  But it is small enough and light enough I can also use it on these trips.  It sets up quickly, packs small, is light, and it is much nicer than just sleeping on the ground. [Just a note, the fabric makes a squeaking sound on the side rods but rubbing wax from a candle took care of the sound.]

Because I now need to have room to pack the cot, I needed another bag that I use to pack all my camping gear in.  The previous one was not waterproof and was at maximum capacity already before the new cot.  The new bag is a DryPak bag that opens on the top for easy packing.  It is completely waterproof and all my camping equipment (tent, cot, sleeping bag, rain gear, etc.) all fit nicely inside the bag.  To attach the bag to the bike, I found an idea on the FJR Forum on how to make your own straps that attach to the bike and bag.  Cathy helped with the sewing required (a little more work than anticipated!) but they are working well.  Here is a picture of the bag on the bike. 


Not specifically related to this trip, but I do have a new helmet with Blue Tooth capability now.  The helmet is a High-Vis Schuberth C3.  I picked it up last year as my previous helmet was almost 10 years old and no longer fit properly.  I got this helmet on close-out as they are now making the C3 Pro.  I have added a Sena SMH10R communication system.  With the Blue Tooth capability, I am able to get my GPS directions and music from my phone to my helmet - all without wires!  I am also able to take/receive phone calls, but I have only done this once as a test.  I feel I have enough going on while riding to not worry about talking on the phone. However, it is nice that I know when I have received a call so I can then decide if/when I want to call the person back.  I am also capable of talking to people on other motorcycles that have similar communications systems.  I have not tested that capability yet either.  Sometimes it feels a little strange having to charge and even do software updates to my helmet (communication system)!


I am happy to report that equipment is working well and as intended!

No comments:

Post a Comment