Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tuesday, July 1 - Day 5: America the Beautiful!

As our country prepares to celebrate its birthday together with what I saw today, I thought America the Beautiful would be an appropriate title for today's blog, but more on that in a little bit.

When I left Frisco CO this morning, the mountain air was cool and crisp.  The temperature was 44 degrees at the hotel and dropped to 36 degrees over the first couple of passes.  I had the right cloths along so riding in this cool weather actually felt good.  By the afternoon, I was riding in temperatures in the low 90s.  I had to keep reminding my self to not sweat it (pun intended), because by the time I reach the Phoenix area, it will likely be another 15 degrees or so warmer!

When I left Frisco I headed west across the remainder of Colorado and then into Utah.  While the first portion of the ride was in interstate, it is some of the most scenic freeway I have taken as it goes over the mountains. In some areas, there was not enough room between the mountains to have the lanes of traffic side-by-side so the traffic was stacked - west bound was elevated and east bound was on the ground!  It was interesting to watch the landscape change from section to section, but most of it was gorgeous. For example, in Colorado it went from the "'Rockies", to red rock, and then to multicolored.  The first section of Utah wasn't very exciting but then I turned south and the view picked up. Once I got of the interstate, the first section was very "lonely" - very few cars.  I felt like I was in the middle of no where!

The last time I rode in Utah, I went down the east side through Moab and National Parks such as Bridges.  This time I went more down the center and went through Capital Reef  National Park and Grand Staircase.  The views and the roads were totally awesome!  Here are a few picture, but they don't do justice to the beauty.



My next stop was Bryce Canyon.  I was at Bryce Canyon on a previous motorcycle trip back in 2008.  I liked it so much; I had to make a stop at it again on this trip.  For you fellow travelers, if you haven't yet seen Bryce Canyon, put it on your list!


I took a lot more photos today but due to upload speeds, this is all I can upload now.  I can share more photos with you later.

I have been very fortunate and blessed that to be able to see so much of this country while traveling on 2 wheels.  I must again thank my wife Cathy for supporting in my joy of motorcycle riding.  Without her support, all these trips would not be possible! Thank You Dear!

The places I saw today and others I will still see on this trip are some of the best in this country and because of that is say "America the Beautiful"!

I am spending the night at a campground with Bryce Canyon Nation Park. Tomorrow I plan to go through Zion National Park and then on to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  I am expecting many more beautiful views tomorrow.

Here is the route I did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment