Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sunday, July 6 - Day 10: Return to the Rockies!

I left the campground in Monument Valley this morning and took a few more pictures.



My next adventure was to climb Moki Dugway.  This is a road that basically climbs the ledge of a rock formation.  Is is really strange as you approach because all you see is this enormous rock in front of you and you ask yourself, "Where does this road go?"  There is only 1 answer, right up the side!  The road is gravel but well maintained.  I have included a photo of the road looking down on it.  At the top is the sign for Moki Dugway.  A friend/co-worker managed to accidentally get a great photo of his bike in the background behind the sign.  I tried my best to recreate what he did by accident.




From Moki Dugway, it was on to 4 Corners.  I had heard this had become a real "touristy" location and that is right.  People stand in line for some time to be able to take their picture standing at the exact location where 4 states (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah) meet.  I chose instead to just take a picture of the point.  My main reason for stopping was to get a pin for my large US map I have to document many of the places I have been to on a motorcycle.



The next major road was the Million Dollar Highway (Hwy 550) in Colorado.  I took it from Durango, through Silverton and Ouray and all the way to Montrose.  The views along this road are amazing.  Because it was a Sunday afternoon on a long weekend, there was a lot of traffic. Sometimes it was more like being in a parade than being on a scenic drive, but you just sit back, take it easy, and enjoy the views.



The final part of the today's ride brought me along the Black Canyon around Gunnison, CO.  I had seen the canyon before from the south side, but this time I came along the north side of the canyon which provides many more views and the road is a lot more fun to ride!  Here is a view from Google Maps!



I am staying at a camp site that is part of the Blank Canyon recreation area.  I have a great view of the lake.  You have to love our park systems!  I have a lake side camp site for only $12.


Tomorrow will be my last day of "fun" riding.  I expect the highlight to be riding to the top of Pikes Peak.  I will see what the day has in store for me.  For now, I must go.

No comments:

Post a Comment